Saturday, January 15, 2011

Shhhhhhhhh.....


I'm gunna' say it.  You're not going to like it.  Here it goes.....my kids need to SHUT.UP.  There it is...judge all you want.

Now, let me be specific..it's not the conversations that need to stop...not the ABC, or even the 123s...   It's one word, just one....Mama.

Now, for those of you still waiting for this blessed moment from your little bundles, I urge you to stop reading now.  I would not want to ruin that one very special moment shared by baby and mom.

For those of you still with me...I will continue...

I counted one day, actually one hour, to see how many 'mamas' I heard.  206.  In an HOUR!
206 requests for milk, water, cheerios, to 'watch me', to ask 'where are you', or to ask nothing at all.  I am always fascinated when you respond and they have absolutely nothing to say.  They just get so used to asking for you, or something, or someone...it never ends. Even as I type, I am flanked by one asking to watch 'I wanna drive the zamboni' and the other looking to me to dress him in his favorite super hero costume.  Ahhhhhhh!!!!  Stop!  Just stop and leave me alone!!

So what is my Momzilla answer for this?  Selective hearing. I admit it, here and now, I ignore my children.  About every fifth 'mama' I simply don't respond to. 
Question: Is it wrong to ignore your children? 
Answer: Probably. 
But, it is slowly saving my sanity and at the same time creating some pretty independent children.  Toys are still found, pants still put on, crayons and paper still put out....just not by me, by them. 

Parenting by neglect...a new movement?  Probably not.

1 comment:

  1. I do the same thing! I read recently that it's a good thing to just let them be sometimes - it helps them learn independence and creativity.

    And it's not neglect!! lol We do it out of love. Cause if we didn't, they might end up being thrown out the window.

    ReplyDelete